Monday, January 09, 2006

The Thread on Boat Building and WWII Tugs Post

Richard says:
Great summary to begin with. I'm sure there's lots more. Some of the negatives I've looked up show keel after keel being laid for a new boat startups every 3-4 months. These are big boats too 50-70 feet. Would take me and 4-5 non existant experienced helpers 2-3 years to build. I'm really impressed with the productivity of that well oiled machine.

John says:
I think Richard’s point goes to the heart of my curiosity. How did they get so productive, with such awesome legacy yachts/ships? My recollection is the place was kinda small, no? And I wasn’t thinking there were many employees – is that wrong? Does anyone know the history, because I don’t have a clue about the details of scale….

Jim Says:
During WW II (tugs), it was all guns - no butter - wonder what workdays/workweeks were? Did they just get the hulls afloat and fit up all else afloat? I have a single brain cell that recalls Papa saying what a tough trick it was for a carpenter to hang a door afloat (nothing level or plumb - and moving).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home